Thursday, August 16, 2007

10 Things I Learned in Bootcamp

Hello All! So, finally...it is here. We only have today and tomorrow to finally finish bootcamp. I have to admit...it wasn't all that bad. Those three weeks really flew by. But, I have to admit...I am pretty excited that it's almost over. I really have learned a lot here in bootcamp. I came into bootcamp, trained to write for broadcast news. I think it really helped me to go back and learn how to write for print.
Well, here are some other things I learned in bootcamp. Let's start the countdown!!!
TOP TEN THINGS I LEARNED IN BOOTCAMP
1. When riding the METRO, it's okay to sit down to those "weird looking" people, because they are usually the ones willing to talk and share some random story (Hey, you are a journalist).
2. It's okay to wear heels to interviews, just be sure to take an extra set of flip flops because the "cute" factor usually wears off about 12:00 p.m.
3. After that grammar lesson, I am sure we all learned that our speaking and writing are a little off. (But, hey...we are here to learn) :-)
4. A podium is called a lectern (I honestly still can't get over that one).
5. Getting interviews can be easy, but some people are still afraid to talk to journalists. (I mean, if you have nothing to hide, why is it so hard to give an interview, huh?)
6. It does get pretty hot here in D.C. I am sure over the past three weeks, we all discovered that we sweat profusely. :-) (Yeah, that really makes for a great interview)
7. You probably started 75% of your sentences off this week with "My name is [blank] and I am an American University Journalism Graduate Student." (When I go home next week, I probably will still start off each sentence like that and my family will look at me as if I were crazy)
8. 5:00 p.m. comes quickly, if you just stop paying attention to the clocks on the computer screen in the lecture hall.
9. Walking is really great exercise!!!
10. That we all actually made it through, kept our eyes on the prize, and successfully completed bootcamp!!! :-)

It's truly been a pleasure!

Janine Cooper

No comments: