Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Evildoers in Our Midst


It was two weeks ago that I first came upon the evil black squirrels that infest the grounds of American University. I had never seen a black squirrel before. I was terrified.

I have nothing against squirrels, in general. I grew up with the Eastern Gray Squirrel in southern Alabama, and spent many wonderful evenings with them. And of course there's nothing better than squirrel and dumplings on a cold winter's night.

I have spent my evenings these last two weeks conducting research on these strange rodents. I was surprised to learn that zoologists believe the critters are in fact gray squirrels which contain a black pigment called melanin.

I do not believe they are related to the gray squirrel, however.
Two years ago, BBC News reported that a malicious gang of black squirrels attacked and killed an innocent stray dog in a remote area of Russia.

The article suggested the grisly crime was motivated by hunger resulting from a lack of available pine cones. But I believe -- to borrow a recent phrase from President Bush --that they are just “cold-blooded killers,” and not related to the good, gray squirrels I have come to know and love.

As journalists, we should not let our prejudices cloud our judgment. But this is different.

The black squirrel first arrived in D.C. in 1902, living at the National Zoo, according to Wikipedia. American University is one of the few areas in the country where they can be found today, Wikipedia says.

In the early '60s, ten black squirrels were introduced to Kent State University. Originally mistaken for skunks, the rodents now apparently run the campus. In 1981, an annual festival was created in their name that continues today.

Is this what we want at American University?

--Caine O'Rear

4 comments:

CaraS said...

Why do they have to be a "gang"? Is that the words of the BBC? That's ridiculous. I think the black squirrels are cute. I've never seen them before either but until they do something EVIL to me, I'm cool with them.

CaraS said...

Adina said that btw!

Katharine Jarmul said...

According to my biologist friend, the black squirrel is the native of the region and the grey squirrels we see are actually "colonizers"--so to speak.

jesseka said...

Caine, this cracked me up. I remember coming to AU 4 years ago and being so frightened but fascinated by the black squirrels... even though I lived in Detroit, another area where they can be found, I never saw one.