Sunday, August 5, 2007

never ask permission

Note to Self #1 - Do not panic (refer to Minneapolis Bridge Collapse).

Note to Self #2 - Never ask permission. Just ask the question! Friday was baptism by fire in how *not* to conduct a walk-and-talk interview.

After learning of a closed door briefing on Iraq by General David Petraeus to the House Armed Services Committee, I stood outside the Committee room with a few classmates. Think... think... think. After more than 16 years of education, I should definitely be able to conjure up one reasonably respectable question, right? O contraire, my friend. The Committee room doors opened, and someone stepped out into the hall. We could not determine exactly who this person was, but we knew he was important. Many people in Washington think they are important, but we could tell this man really was important by the quiet way he wore the stacks of ribbons on his chest. He was the type of person that commands respect without ever having to say a word.

As this highly decorated military official briskly walked our way, flanked by security, I lurched forward (holding out my audio recorder, of course) and said, “Pardon me, sir, do you have time to speak with an American University reporter?” Ughh! I choked on the words the moment they escaped my mouth. My interviewee kept marching past me, but, to his credit, did turn his body and give me the courtesy of a response. The response was, “Actually, no, I don’t (have time).” And away he went. The sound-bite on my recorder is almost too humiliating to share with even my husband!

So, back to Note to Self #2… when you find yourself with an unexpected opportunity to ask a source a question, just go for it. Don’t ask permission. What’s the worst that can happen to you? You might get tackled by Secret Service??

LT

No comments: