Friday, August 17, 2007

A Virginia Commuter Finds Hope and Optimism After Visiting the Hill

"We can't take I-66 home today," my mom said. "The traffic is terrible. The weather is so nice and so many people are on the road."
As I open the vent to let the air conditioner breathe fresh air on me, I listen to my mother. I reminisce about my Capitol Hill experience today and my discussion with Dan Scandling, the chief of staff and press secretary in The Office of Congressman Frank R. Wolf (R-10th) of Virginia.
I feel a sense of release. I am so glad that funding was approved for the Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) on I-66. I was elated to discover that Congressman Wolf is working for people in the Shenandoah Valley.
After reading a press release from Congressman Wolf’s office, I learned that BRT is a train car on wheels, uses dedicated lanes, enhances fare collection, platform loading and other elements of rail systems to provide faster transit service but at a lower cost.
"Wow, that is good," my mom says, referring to the bus transit. "You can ride that in the mornings."
"Mom, the money was just approved," I said. "It will not go into effect until the next couple of years."
I hear Scandling's voice in the back of my mind.
"Transportation is the number one priority in this office right now," Scandling said. "It's taking 10 years, and they still have not started construction. It's just getting going. It's expensive, [and] it is going to require money and creativity."
As we find another route home, I close my eyes. We are sitting in bumper to bumper traffic. I have a flashback.
"Over the past 25 years [Congressman Wolf] has been involved in transportation [issues]," Scandling said. "From 1995-2000, he served as the chairman of the Transportation Appropriations subcomitee. The people are coming [to Virginia], and you have to provide them with transportation."
In the end, I think about my long commute down I-66 in the mornings and evenings. Tiring, I think to myself. On the other hand, I feel a sense of relief. It's an honor to know that our Congressman cares about us Virginians just outside the beltway—in Middletown, Va.
"Well done Congressman Wolf," I whisper.

--Janelle L. Plummer

No comments: