Monday, August 13, 2007

A few thoughts on class today. . .

1. If you have the ability to pronounce something correct you should. I am always unsure if I should correct people when they mispronounce my name. I know, you're thinking how do they mispronounce Ryan? But many do. They don't think Ryan can really be my name so they change it to Ryann or Reanne, or anything like that. I usually do correct people because I think if I were mispronouncing someone's name I would want to know. I would want to do my best to respect what is thier's. Also, by showing respect you command respect. There is a learning curve of course, but once you learn it what excuse do you have to keep making the same mistake?

2. I really appreciated the guest speakers we have had. They are journalists who are doing the same thing I want to do. They have insight and alot of useful information. The more views and experiences I hear about the better I am prepared to make decisions for my future. I don't know about the rest of the class, but I don't have anyone in my life who has any experience as a journalist. It's nice to hear about what I may be getting myself into.

3. I was much more awake today because I got to sleep in later! I have moved to an apartment that is a 20 minute walk from class and it is wonderful, just empty and lonely. I do have a bed at least. Maybe I'll have a table soon. Usually at 7pm (the time it is right now) I would have been home for about an half an hour and worn out from the bus. But when I got home today I was refreshed from my walk and ready to work on Boot Camp stuff. Too bad there are only four days left!

Ryan Sibley

No comments: