Thursday, August 16, 2007

Going to places


Yesterday's assignment reminded me of Professor Benedetto's words about what it is to be a journalist: "you get to go to places people don't go, and you tell them what you saw."
Usually, when I go to places, I tell everyone what I saw.
Yesterday, I had to write what I saw. And I found people that had been there like me, to see what was happening. And there were people that were there as a tourist, and like me when I'm a toursit, they were curious and wanted to know what was going on.
I felt half journalist half tourist. I took pictures I will take home. and I felt sad I could put them on my story, so I'm posting them here.
I went to cover the release of the new Jefferson $1 coin and it was like a party with barbershop singers, kids wearing whigs all over the place waiting for their coin and Jefferson re-enactors (including one of his great grand grand -several times grand- son.

If you have a chance next week, take a walk to the Jefferson memorial, the re-enactors won't be there (well, you never know) but it's worth it.
I hope you like it.
Cristina

1 comment:

CaraS said...

Cristina

I am glad some of my words got through. You did a nice job on this visit to the Jefferson Meemorial. One of the marks of a good journalist is to be able to look at things through the eyes of real people, alogn with your own. Many Washington journalism might find the coin unveiling at the Jefferson Memeorial too corny. Beut real people don't/ And tha tis what we have to realize. Remember, everyone is not like us. We are different, not them.

Professor Benedetto