Monday, August 6, 2007

Objective Journalism?

Does Objectivity Exist?

It seems to me that the three biggest rules in journalism are honesty, objectivity or fairness, and that thou shalt never ever under any circumstance use the word “that”. But I question if there really are any objective journalists. We all have agendas, and anyone who chooses a profession that amplifies their voice to massive scales probably has a lot bigger agenda than your average citizen.

Does this mean that there is no such thing as objective journalism? I don’t think so. I think there is simply no such thing as an objective person. It seems to me that the key to objective journalism is recognizing your own agenda and then adjusting your writing and research so that the end product comes out objective.

I have strong opinions as to how I think our government should act, as does probably every person in this class. I have a natural distrust of most politicians and a skeptical view of the health of democracy in the United States. I do want my work as a journalist to result in what I personally deem to be positive changes in government and society, but I also realize that imputing my own personal biases into my work would only keep all of these illusions of grandeur from becoming a reality.

The economic principle of “game theory” seems applicable in how best to approach this idea of objectivity. I have to base my decision on what to write with a conscious understanding of my own biases and those of people who think differently than I do. I have to write to my strongest critics.

It seems to me the hardest part of my whole theory of objectivity is recognizing ones own biases. No one wants to admit that they have preconceived views of people and things, but we do.

I am convinced that all redheaded women are evil. I know that this is a completely ludicrous belief, but I also recognize that it is my first instinct to think this way. When I meet a redhead I have to remind myself that they are not necessarily trying to steal my life-force, but by doing so I can have an unbiased conversation with them and get to know them as an individual. It is only by recognizing my own bias that I can do this.

In the 12 step programs the first step is admitting that you are an addict. I feel like my fist step in becoming an objective journalist is admitting that I am skeptical, self-righteous smartass that is out to get corrupt politicians and big business. I have to recognize who I am in order to keep it from affecting my work.

After this morning my whole crisis over objectivity seems mute, since Professor Watson said that it was fairness rather than objectivity that governs journalism ethics.

-lagan

No comments: