Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Top 9 Things I Miss About Oregon

9) Knowing where I am. Yes, I'm afraid my east coast geography is a bit rusty, and the fact that I can walk from my apartment to Maryland in less than 20 minutes is also somewhat disconcerting.
8) My car...though it's certainly not a D.C. necessity (I love walking and using the metro) it would sure making moving furniture into my apartment a whole lot easier. Then again, who wants to worry about parking.
7) Recycling...my apartment complex has it, but only for glass, newspaper, copy paper and bottles/cans. What about my plastics, my milk cartons and other things? I'm afraid parts of Oregon are still way ahead of the curve on this one.
6) The water...Oregon has some of the cleanest, yummiest drinking water I've ever tasted. In most towns you can survive just fine without a filter/purifier on your faucet. I've been advised by many not to drink the tap water here in D.C.
5) The Bijou...It's an off-beat movie theater in Eugene that shows lots of docs, independent and foreign films. I love the selection of films and popcorn toppings, which range from the traditional butter to garlic salt, spice mixes and nutritional yeast. It's an adventure! Plus, the fattest house cat known to man resides there. As I recall, he was somewhere around 20 pounds.
4) Tide-pooling on the Oregon Coast...Yes, it's rocky. Yes it's cold and windy. But if you're an Oregonian you love it because of, not in spite of, those qualities. I remember the first time I ever set foot in "balmy" water off the coast of Panama, and I absolutely hated it. It felt like a bathtub! Not for me... I also love all the sea creatures you can observe if you wade into the tide pools at low tide. It's really fun to see what animals you can find!
3) Congressional representation...probably enough said. I plan to keep my residency in Oregon as long as I'm a student!
2) No sales tax!...Talk about taking things for granted. I will definitely be going shopping when I go home this weekend! Oh yeah, and we don't have to pump our own gas either, which is nice until, of course, you go on a road trip and humiliate yourself at the pump.
And the #1 thing I miss about Oregon???
1) My fiance...obviously!
-ariel olson

No comments: