Wednesday, August 1, 2007

The Specter of Murdoch

Earlier this summer, on my way to a charity dinner for my husband's company, I ran into Martin Sheen. We actually found a great deal to talk about, seeing as I am passionately addicted to old episodes of "The West Wing" and he starred in it as President Josiah Bartlett. When I mentioned that I had recently interned as a research assistant for the editorial board of The Wall Street Journal, Sheen slipped into "President Bartlett mode," knitting together his eyebrows and growling, "Oh, I hope that Rupert Murdoch doesn't get control of all of you, hmmmmm?"
Sheen pretty much summed up the theme which has been running through countless editorials and discussions this summer. In fact, up until just about half an hour ago, when I read a Salon.com opinion piece, I have rather carelessly held the same viewpoint as my favorite presidential actor.
The salon.com piece criticizes the nostalgia and teeth-gnashing brought on by the sale of the Journal's parent company, DowJones to Murdoch's NewsCorp. While arguing that the overwhelming mass of financial information spawned by the digital age has resulted in a decline in the much-vaunted quality of the Journal's reporting, the piece also recognizes that this very fact will keep Murdoch from the "dastardly deeds" predicted in the MSM.
The sale of The Wall Street Journal is a true test for the benefits of media convergence, according to the salon piece:

"As consumers of information, those of us who care about economic affairs live in a golden age unprecedented in the history of journalism. And I don't just mean we have more access to news per se. We also benefit from a near-infinite number of online outlets devoting themselves to analyzing and explaining and critiquing every act of financial journalism committed in practical real-time all over the world. If the Journal starts to slide, we will know."

This all sounds very familiar, doesn't it?
From a personal viewpoint, I recall the earnest speech I received on my first day as a research assistant -- To keep out of the newsroom side, and the newsroom side would keep out of our editorial areas. I was told to keep this literal and figurative separation in mind at all times. I even recall getting strange looks from reporters when I ventured into their side for copier paper. Whether or not, this was a speech for the benefit of an intern, I hope that the Journal can continue this separation and that the added challenge of Murdoch-ownership will indeed result in greater quality financial journalism.

(To see a great one sentence lede check out the Washington Post's story on the sale today -- "Rupert Murdoch has won the Wall Street Journal." Kind of says it all.)

1 comment:

CaraS said...

by Katherine Gypson