Monday, August 6, 2007

perhaps Prof. Watson *should* rule the world

Note to Self #3 – Perhaps Prof. Watson *should* rule the world.

Did I mention how good it is to be back in school? It would be sad to admit exactly how long it has been since I have heard a lecture as thought provoking as the one we all heard today.

On that note, here are a few of the nuggets I collected from Professor Watson’s lecture today (*please note, the bullet points are almost exact quotes of Prof. Watson):
1. The prime directive of journalism is to provide the public with information it can rely on to make decisions on issues that are important.
2. Fairness and balance. If you have deceived someone, reveal the deception to both that person and the public. Allow that person to respond to your criticism.
3. The profession of journalism would be enhanced by licensing. Right now, economic interests do overrun journalistic ethics, and licensing could remedy that situation.

I am also left to struggle with some of the more provocative points Professor Watson made:
1. The press has the ethical obligation to attack the person the general public has just declared they love [in an election].
2. Journalists must be independent of the government, even IF the end result of cooperation would be morally desirable.
3. Tell the truth whenever and wherever you can. However, if that absolutely cannot get you the information the public needs, deception “might be” ethically acceptable.

It’s a bit too soon for me to make commentary on the tough points; I need to mull them over a bit in my mind. I just thought it might be helpful to put them “out there” for you all to consider, and let me know what conclusions you come to. I can’t possibly be the only person in our class who was a bit disturbed by these comments, can I?

LT

No comments: