Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Why I Ride the Bus


Photo Courtesy of: http://www.visitingdc.com

"Why do you ride the bus?"


I've heard numerous folks ask me this since I started taking the bus (on occasion) to campus.

Other than the obvious Steelers tribute, Jerome "The Bus" Bettis, I like to ride the bus because it cures my homesickness. I was thinking about it the other day as I was riding. The bus honks. The bus driver yells. Various passengers argue about how hot it will actually be and what stop the new bus-rider should get off at.

"Here ya are lady," the bus driver says, looking at the Iranian woman who is trying to reach the embassy.

"Nuh-uh," the woman sitting beside me says. "That embassy is closer to the next stop. You keep goin'. I'll tell her when to get off."

The bus driver shoots the woman a look that could kill, but closes the door and continues, stopping abrubtly about 1/2 a block down the street.

The Iranian woman looks confused, but thankful.

"There ya go, honey. It's right across the street." the lady beside me says, glaring at the driver the whole time.

There's nothing more heartwarming to me than folks talking, yelling, screaming and honking. I miss New York, so that's why I ride the bus.

-Katharine Jarmul

1 comment:

jesseka said...

I LOVE THE BUS, and I love you even more for the reference! Go Steelers! =)