Thursday, August 9, 2007

Missing: An arsenal of weapons, if seen please contact the U.S. Army...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/6932710.stm

Just a quick question; how does an army 'misplace' 110,000 AK-47 rifles, 80,000 Pistols, 135,000 Body armour pieces and 115,000 Helmets?!

Let me give you another tidbit that floors me; "The Pentagon said only 14.5m of the nearly 40m items of equipment ordered by the Iraqi army had been provided" according to the BBC.

I would like to give a comparison that has no place in 'real' news reporting, but it crossed my mind (and amused me) so I'll share...

Let's say, at age 8, I had gone to a birthday party for a troublesome little classmate of mine. I took all my favorite Barbies with me - Malibu, Rockstar, you name it. I took my Barbies things too, the Playhouse, car, shoes, clothes...the whole nine yards.

I was also supposed to take my classmate a birthday gift; I brought her the newest four Barbies available, 'Soccer Mom' Barbie, 'Baywatch' Barbie, 'Anne Coulter' Barbie - whatever.

After the party, when my mum picks me up, I report that I don't know where half of my Barbie things have gone. I couldn't find all the shoes, clothes, etc. that I took with me. Oh, and some of my Barbie dolls aren't coming home either.

My mum calls the mother of the classmate, and finds out that instead of the four dolls as gifts, I only gave one.

I promise you that I wouldn't have been given anymore Barbies or accessories for quite some time, probably would have had the remainder taken away from me 'until I knew how to take care of my things', and been grounded from playing at other friends houses because I had been deceitful in the giving of promised items to that classmate.

The lesson learned? It's a good thing my mother doesn't know President Bush - he'd be grounded.

Joan

No comments: