Thursday, August 16, 2007

Familiar Places and Faces




View of Marineland of the Pacific




Familiar Places and Faces
by Liz

I’ve been in the D.C. area for about a month. Though my days are full and my nights late, and I haven’t been lonely…
It’s still great to see familiar places and faces.
The places I don’t actually visit… They’re just photos of those spots I’ve loved so much I had to take them with me.

The Point Vicente lighthouse is one of those places. It’s located on the constantly shifting Palos Verdes Peninsula which is south of Los Angeles.
http://www.palosverdes.com/pvlight/

The fact that the PV Peninsula shifts (and I can tell with each visit where the road has been re-patched) doesn’t really bother me. I always recall when I drive the coast in PV a story announcing the 18th hole at a PV golf course just fell into the ocean one day.


It doesn't bother me very much maybe because La-La Land is known for her occasional tectonic shivers.

Anyway, I loved to break away from the noise of La-La land and take a drive to PV every now and again, especially on sunny days… Just to feel the wind, see the ocean sparkle, see the outline of Catalina Island…

On a couple of trips, I would drive by to view the remains of Marineland, which used to be the Southern California alternative to Sea World, until it closed down roughly 20 years ago…

Now, they’re putting up some ritzy hotel/condo hybrid thingamuhjiggey. I actually went there once and got a brochure, as if they’d let my broke tail up in there.

I don't have so many favorite familiar places in this area… yet. I’m taking applications, though. *smile*

I got to visit a local joint on Friday with some SOC ladies. Ben’s Chilli Bowl. Now I am always on the late freight, and had never heard of the place, and realized that it’s one of those Aunt Kizzy’s Back Porch or Roscoe’s Chicken and Waffles or Pink’s kind of places. Ben's is not all ritzy by any means, but it has some good food, great customer service, constant traffic, and hey it has those autographed photos of famous folks on the walls. Who can resist James Brown, Bill Cosby and Bono as wall paper?

No comments: