Wednesday, August 1, 2007

I Remember Why I Want to be a Journalist

I started Journalism boot camp at the beginning of this week. I remember not being able to sleep the night before as I waited anxiously for the next morning. The alarm clock went off and I thought to myself, "Here we go." Having been out of college for two years, I got that nervous feeling. The feeling that comes attached to the unknown. What were my classmates like and what would my professors be like? I walked into the Welcome Breakfast, meeting so many new people from so many different places. When class began, I felt that sudden spark within myself. The one that I have not felt in a long time, since graduating from UCF in 2005. It was the love of journalism coming back to me.
Many people say that they knew what they wanted to be when they were children. Well, I can say that I am one of those people. Like many are born to be doctors or teachers, I was born to be a journalist. Television reporting is something that I love to do. It's a passion of mine that I can't seem to explain to some. Though it can be stressful, the rewards that come from doing it cannot be replaced. I remember the feeling that I get when a story is complete and I am truly happy about what I did with it. Being able to tell a person's story is one of the best things about this business, I think.
During my college years, I remember a lady that I was interviewing for the evening newscast. Her home had just burned to the ground and I was sent to ask her some questions. Instead, she asked me questions. She applauded me for doing what I do. She told me that she could tell that I loved sharing people's stories.
When finally deciding to attend graduate school, my family was very supportive. I can hear my parents and older sister saying, "If this is truly what you want to do, go for it. We got your back." No joke...this is what they always tell me. I can always rely on them for the support that I do get. I approach each day hearing "We love you. We support you and we got your back." :-)

Janine Cooper

No comments: