Saturday, August 18, 2007

My Helen Thomas experience

When I was Ten years old Elizabeth Nze,a well known newscaster,refused, while on air, to read the news. It might not seem like a big deal now, but in Nigeria, in 1992, it was. At that time the country was ruled by Maj. Gen. Ibrahim Babangida, a dictator to say the least. During his reign all media outlets were monitored by the government. Newspaper, t.v. and radio stations reported news that had been given the OK by those in charge. On that fateful evening, Nze got a copy of the news and skimmed through it, we didn't have teleprompters at the time, then she put it down and said "I am not reading this. These people know what is going on, I will not read this." After saying those words, she got up and left.
To this day, I always think about her and how hard it must have been for her stand her ground, both as a journalist and a woman. Living in a country like Nigeria, women were hardly ever in the forefront of the fight for social justice; that is why Nze's actions will always be a turning point in my life. After watching her on t.v. that evening, I decided I wanted to be a journalist like her; one who reports the truth, and not some trumped up story, or one sided news.
Listening to Helen Thomas brought back all those warm and fuzzy feelings I had when I was ten. She is an inspiration to say the least. It is inspiring to see someone stick to what they believe in, regardless of what they might lose as a result. Helen Thomas has called on journalists to wake up, this includes those of us who are about to join this elite group of news gatherers; we need to wake up.
For me a country that protects the rights of its journalists and gives them the freedom to write truthfully, is an opportunity too good to waste. I hope to learn as much as I can, and use what I have learned for the good of others, no matter how small my contribution may be, as long as it helps someone, I will be satisfied.

Uzo Nnabuihe

No comments: