Monday, August 13, 2007

Who's the journalist?

Preschoolers in Ms. Janelle's class on Tuesday, July 3, 2007 at the "Independence Day Parade." (Virginia)





It’s a hot summer’s day. As I enter my classroom, I feel a sense of relief at 8:30 a.m. I’m surrounded with hugs from three-year-olds. “Good morning, friends,” I say, cheerfully. While some of them return to various centers, I check our parent board. I inform one of my students that she is the leader for the day.
“What is your news today?” I ask her, as we sit at the art table.
She gives me a piece of paper and a marker from the art center.
“What would you like to share with your friends today?” I ask her.
She stares at me, as I begin to write her news.
“I love my mommy and daddy,” she says. “I go to nana’s house. I play with my baby.”
“Thank you,” I respond. “After free play, we will share this with your friends during circle time this morning.”
She’s excited to be the leader. She returns to the dramatic play center to play with her friends.
During circle time, 13 students sit on the carpet. After reviewing the calendar, weather, finger plays and nursery rhymes, they are joyful to hear their friend’s news.
Later that afternoon around 4:45 p.m., many of my students are gone home. Five of them stand around the art table, after they clean up the dramatic play center and put puzzles away. They bring paper, crayons and makers to the table. They await their parents’ arrival.
“Ms. Janelle, what is your news today?” a student asks me.
I politely share my news with him.
“I’m glad to be at school with my friends,” I say. “I had fun in the sand.”
“What else, Ms. Janelle?” he asks.
“I shared with my friends today,” I say.
With a marker in his hand, he scribbles my news for the day. The leader of the day has gone home. I’m the leader. I amazed. I’m thrilled. He’s a great imitator, a great impressionist—a great reporter. “Who’s the journalist?” I ask myself.

--Janelle L. Plummer

No comments: